Saturday, July 26, 2008

Saturday's run

7/26/08

R
an my semi-long run today at Waterton Canyon. Decided to run during the hottest point during the day since it wasn't suppose to get much above 85 degrees. Of course one has to take into account the canyon has a way of retaining heat, and without ample wind it can get down right toasty. Fortunately it didn't get unbearable but having not run any of my longer run in the heat, I was forced to take things easy. Very easy actually.

Took an entire bottle filled with water, which is something I normally do not do. Usually I can manage to do most of my runs with about half a bottle without too much issue but since the temperatures here in Colorado can change hour-to-hour I thought it prudent to fill'r up. Good thing because I was taking a swig at least every 5-7 minutes. As I was coming up along side the dam, I was amazed at how much cooler it felt. I'd only climbed about 300 feet and yet it was at least 10-15 degrees cooler here. How could that be? Not being an expert on dams I can't exactly explain what they were doing but as I looked to my right at the dam, I could see a section of it opened up to allow a large amount water flow out towards the river running through the canyon. It was the mist I felt, but how glorious it felt.

Coming back down I continued to take it easy. It was my intention to open it up and push it hard back to the car but with the heat, and my lack of training in the heat this year (I know, sad...) I kept my same pace back down. The water lasted far enough for me to finish and that was that. Before I left, I went back to the river and soaked my legs in it, allowing pretty much my entire legs to be emerged which felt great after my feet got used to the initial shock of cold water. Afterwards, I felt great. Returned home where I ate vigorously and washed it all down wish some nice cold ice water.

2 comments:

Justin Mock said...

Waterton Canyon has been on my to-do list before Pikes. Might be up for joining you there sometime before Pikes.

Michael Quispe said...

Sure, its a good out and back run.