Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Leap year

Tomorrow is February 29 - leap year!

I welcome each and every extra day while training for Boston and tomorrow is certainly one of those. And while it doesn't amount to much, every bit counts, especially the additional time added prior to the marathon.

Knee has not had a twinge in over two weeks now, allowing me to continue ramping up and working hard for what will hopefully be a good run in Boston. Funny how no matter what, I never know exactly what shape I'm in going into a race. I can only go by whether or not I've had any injuries (fortunately I've never had any that have kept me down very long), amount of days of actual training, and generally how I feel.

I definitely feel better than this time before New York. I knew I wasn't as fit as I wanted to be going into that race and sure enough I ran my all time slowest marathon - 2:55. Decent considering the training that had taken place. This time around I feel good, I'm feeling much more motivated, and if all goes according to plan I am thinking that I can sneak back under 2:50. Back to where I belong.

Over the weekend I ran with a few of the fellow Roosters at the Cherry Creek rez but since this was my drop back week I only ran 12, starting out easily and then picking it up over the course of the run ending in the last few miles being sub-7. Not a hard run by any means but I felt strong the entire way. Pushed the up hills and relaxed on the down hills. The wind from the west was ridiculous yet I never faltered.

The following day I helped David Rothenburger outline a race course for the Father's Day mile the Rocky Mountain Road Runners will be putting on the day prior to Father's Day. All-in-all I got 10 miles and a decently slow pace.

I've also been trying to do some speedwork every week. Month and half ago I signed up for the ROTG so I'm hoping to have a semi-decent showing, although it may not be as good as my earlier ROTG a few years back. Have been wanting to get back for a while and now I'm able to run it again. Hopefully my recent time off hasn't slowed me down too much.

I'm planning to do a weekly update like most other running bloggers do. I'm not exactly versed in the art of blogging at this time so it is definitely a work in progress.

No comments: